Wednesday, May 19, 2010

++A Fitting Tribue to "Mama"

This past Sunday, I went to a beautiful Memorial Service for Carolyn "Mama" Glass. She was one remarkable lady who dedicated her life to her "kids" at Glenbrook South High School. I got to know her over my four years at GBS and she was always there for you. Mama stood only about 4 1/2 feet tall, but she was full of energy and enthusiasm. She was at GBS for 37 years, starting as a parapro and then evolved into the school spirit and Pep Leader of the whole school. The football games seemed to be her very favorite sport, but she was dedicated to all of them. I can still hear her voice leading the cheers and getting everyone totally involved. I had such a fun time working alongside her at the start of school helping to sell T-shirts and sweatshirts. Her grandson is now an English teacher at South and the end of the service was led by him. I am sure Mama was listening and watching every single part of it. He led her most famous cheer, "Wash em in the river, hang em on the line, we can beat .... New Trier, Glenbrook North, Maine South, whoever ... any old time! The whole auditorium was on their feet and yelling as loudly as possible, me included. It was joyous and sad at the same time. I am so very glad my mom and I were there.

An added bonus for me was to see many of my old teachers. Mrs. Mash, actually Mr. Masciopinto, and Mr. Weisenstein, or Wise as we all called him were my very favorites. I was able to talk to them both for quite awhile. Mr. Mash was my psychology teacher and he is the one I asked to walk me across the stage to receive my diploma. Mr. Wise was the Consumer Ed, Marketing, and Business Law teacher whose courses I also loved. They all played such an important role in my life and still do. I miss my days there as a student very much. They were probably my best ever! I am going to visit Mr. Mash next week before school ends as has been our tradition since I graduated in 2001. I was very lucky to live in Glenview and have this opportunity at GBS.

This experience on Sunday was very meaningful for me. Even though it was a bit sad to say goodbye to Mama, it was also a celebration of a great person and a great place.

1 comment:

  1. She sounds like a neat lady. It's nice that you knew her and were able to attend her memorial service.

    ReplyDelete